Friday, June 15, 2007

A sad morning

It is hard to believe that a year has passed since I became the teacher for the ESOL students at Literacy Partner's Grand Street Settlement Family Literacy Program. I can't lie. It has been a challenging year. Teaching a multilevel class was a new thing for me...and I don't think I ever got it quite right. I always felt like I needed a few hours every evening to prepare...and that was time I simply didn't have. Regardless, my students were eager and forgiving, and we all did our best. I also had the good pleasure of working with some excellent volunteers: Claudia, Joanne, Gloria, Frances and Clive. Dedicated people using their time on earth in a very positive way. And, all of the students have been amazing. Great people with great courage and great stories. Nina Dong, Xue Hua Chen, Sheng Lin Huang, Zong Meng Lu, Feng Meie, Herminio Bracero, Fatima Rodriguez, Isabel Marte, Aura Vargas, Shu Wei Zhen, Belkis Fernandez, Hui Tan, Tracy Lin, Linda Kou...there were others early on too...Blessed, Irene, Yesenia, Victor, Teodocio.

Last week, during my one and only annual review with Literacy Partners, I was caught completely off-guard when I was informed that it had been decided to close our program down due to budgetary restrictions. At first, I thought, "Now what am I going to do?" Then, I realized that the real change would be for some of my students who have been faithful attendees for years.

So, its been a hard ten days or so. We've been trying to find other classes that will meet the various needs of our learners. And, we've all been waiting for today--our last day together in class. We decided to have a party to celebrate our time together--still, it was a sad occasion and there were some tears shed. Watching some of the students cry really choked me up at one point and I had to leave the room or I knew I was going to start crying. And, when I cry, I cry. It's hard to slow it down.

We spent the morning doing some last minute preparation and waiting for Sheng Lin to return from his visit to Chinatown to pick up fried dumplings. We sang a belated Happy Birthday to Frances and Xue Hua and they proudly wore their "Birthday Girl" crowns. We ate lots of good food. And, then we read some of our stories from our blogs. A few photos. And, then it was over. Next week, LP will be having it's end of the year reading party which many of us will attend. Especially since Joanne will be awarded the "Volunteer of the Year" award. Then, I plan on having a picnic up at my place sometime in August.

I'm going to miss everyone.

5 comments:

flaco said...

"IT IS HARD TO SAY GOOD BYE" I`m going to make something in my blogs about this.It is hard to say good bye to people who one whants and appreciates so much.Thanks to all the voluntary teachers for so pretty cooperation.Thank to Ned, beatiful person.Lora, thanks so much.Thank you all for teaching me so much!! They are always going to be blessed.Thanks, to all my school friends:Zue hua, Belkis, Chun Nui, Aura, Linda Kou, Tracy, Feng Meie, Sheng Lin, Jeff,Fatima, Isabel, Zong Meng, Hui and the beatiful lady Nina!!Until always, Love , Herminio Bracero "FLACO" BYE!!!...

flaco said...

Claudia, Gloria, Clive, Joanne, Frances, Ned, Lora, thank you all!!!

Belkis said...

NED I WANT TO SAY THANKS V€RY MUCH. FOR HELP ME ,I HOPE TO SEE AGAIN I HAVE LOST MY FRIENDS. I MISS YOU LOVE BELKIS

andi said...

Nice blog. It is so good to find you thriving in the big city. How do I send you email? Write me at andipitcher@aol.com and I will tell you a good Everett Rouse story.

xuehuachen said...

This is a very bad stoyie, but I had to believe. NO bady feel happy,because we lost friends. Ned, thank you so much and thank you Claudia, Gloria, Clive,Joanne, Frances and Lore thank you all!