Wednesday, June 27, 2007

ceramics 101

A few weeks ago I walked out of the Henry Street Settlement Abron's Art Center ceramics lab pleased. Pleased because it had been a pleasant 16 weeks working with Noel, my ceramics instructor. And, pleased because some of my work had turned out just as I'd hoped. In all, I either built or threw about 30 pots. As the class only met once a week on Wednesday evenings, I spent some good hours on Friday evenings and Saturdays when the wheel was free. By the end of the 16 weeks, I was starting to get the feel for throwing. Still, I'm yet to make anything very large. If I'm still at HSS in the fall, I'll take another class. And, someday, if I have room and space and time and clay, maybe I'll continue the hobby from my barn.

2 comments:

Cindy Bean said...

Beautiful! I was going to say that you should post pictures of some of your pieces, but then I went to your actual blog instead of just looking at my rss feed and saw them. I've never done ceramics, it looks fun.

erin said...

I love the dishes you made! They look like something I could see you using all of the time too! Good work! I loved the pottery part of my art class, but we didn't get to spend very much time on the wheel with so many students!